Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Squash and Apple Soup with Wild Rice

My t-t-teeth are ch-ch-chattering today because it's f-f-freezing outside! Time for the first soup of the season, I think.

The squash has been out of this world delicious this year. I think I've roasted and eaten 7 of them already this season. Two versions of squash soup currently exist on the blog, one that's plain but with added homemade ravioli, and another that adds spicy chipotle peppers. Both are good, but this one is the best.


I spent some time in Door County, Wisconsin last week enjoying all things cherry-related. Cherry cookies, cherry vodka, cherry wine, cherry cheddar cheese, cherry muffins, cherry salsa, etc. I was envious of the cherrysplosion and complained that we in Minnesota aren't known for any great food items, other than hotdish. Silly me, I forgot about wild rice! Wild rice is amazingly good for you - high in protein and fiber. And after reading about harvesting wild rice by hand, I understand why this rice cost me $19 per pound at the co-op!


I despise pureed soups. I need some texture in my meal or I don't feel satisfied. So, instead of blending, I used a potato masher to make this soup nice and chunky. Then I added the cooked chewy wild rice and got an amazingly flavored fall soup that's deliciously satisfying.


Squash and Apple Soup with Wild Rice
serves 4 as a starter or side

1 medium to large yellow onion, diced fine
2 small apples, peeled, cored, and diced (I used Haralsons from my Grandpa's backyard)
2 dried bay leaves
1 vegetarian bouillon cube (I use Rapunzel brand)
4 cups water
1 buttercup squash, roasted
1.5 cups cooked wild rice
salt and pepper to taste
grated parmesan cheese

In a medium pot, heat some olive oil and/or butter, about 3 Tbsp total. Saute your onion with some salt, pepper, and bay leaves for 5 minutes or so over medium-high heat. Add apples and cook until everything is soft.

Add bouillon, water, and squash and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Mash it all together with a potato masher. Remove bay leaves and add rice.

Serve hot with grated parmesan cheese.


2 comments:

  1. I live in Wisconsin and hear so much about Door County, but have never been! I must make it a point to do so! I love the idea of this soup! I agree, give me some texture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brice and I made this soup over the weekend for company and everyone loved it! Nice blend of flavors-Brice garnished with fresh crispy apples for extra texture. Thanks for sharing! Kris Greene (Ashley's mom)

    ReplyDelete