Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lentil Meatballs

I've got a whole lotta jars of roasted tomato sauce in my freezer that I need to use up this winter.  Usually, I eat it simply with grilled bread and poached eggs.


This time I wanted some spicy vegetarian meatballs to go with that yummy sauce, so I improvised this recipe with what I had on hand.  They turned out really great.  Probably would have been good with pasta, too, but I didn't have any.



Lentil Meatballs
Makes about 12 small meatballs

1.5 cups cooked brown lentils (I didn't have enough so I added green split peas too)
1 shallot, or 1/2 small onion
1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 sundried tomatoes in oil
1/4 cup kalamata olives
1/4 cup oats
salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Reserve 1/2 cup cooked lentils and blend everything else in a food processor until smooth.  Mix back in the reserved lentils.  Form into golf-ball sized balls and place on oiled baking sheet.  Drizzle, brush, or spray tops of balls with more oil and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway.

Ready to eat when golden brown and hot through.  Serve with tomato sauce and add cooked pasta if desired.

ONE YEAR AGO:  Florentine Eggs Benedict
TWO YEARS AGO:  Grilled Polenta with Spicy Black Beans
THREE YEARS AGO:  Spicy Green Bean Saute and Clementine Granita

1 comment:

  1. Such a wonderful idea! I love lentils, and they should be a bigger part of my life!

    ReplyDelete