Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos

OK, here's the thing.  I've been pretty picky about my food lately - probably a result of the holidays - that it must be beautiful, colorful, and elegant.  Lots of pomegranate seeds brightening everything up, pretty salads, layered roasted vegetable crepe cakes, and such.


This is exactly the opposite of that.  This recipe is U-G-L-Y, and it ain't got no alibi, it's ugly.  Yeah, it's ugly.    But even though beauty-impaired, these chicken tacos are so stupid simple and easily adaptable for a family or a crowd, I just couldn't NOT post them! 


The recipe originally caught my eye in one of those junk spam emails I get everyday on healthy eating and wellness - something about a "2-ingredient chicken."  Those 2 ingredients are chicken breasts and salsa, cooked together in a crock pot.  See? I told you...stupid simple.  (I made it so much more difficult by adding onion, beans, and corn, oh my!)


My only complaint in this chicken is the spice level.  When you cook tomatoes for that long, they actually turn very sweet and hide any spice lurking in the salsa.  So these tacos were not as spicy as I like.  If you make this, I highly recommend using hot or extra hot salsa because it mellows so much during that long cooking period.  Or better yet, throw in some jalapeno peppers.  Like I said, this is a very adaptable recipe.  


No matter what you do, your chicken will fall apart and shred very easily, then toss it back in the crockpot to soak up all the salsa, then keep warm until ready to eat.  


I served my shredded chicken on a tortilla with some quinoa, avocado, yogurt, hot sauce, and cabbage slaw with cilantro lime vinaigrette.  It would also be good over rice or quinoa.

Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos
Serves 6

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen or not, doesn't matter)
1 16 oz jar (or 2 cups) hot and spicy salsa
2 Tbsp chili powder + 1 Tbsp cumin + 1 tsp salt (OR, a packet of taco seasoning)
healthy pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 onion, sliced (optional)
1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and diced (optional)
2 cups frozen or 1 can drained canned corn (optional)
2 cups or 1 can drained black beans (optional)

Layer all ingredients in a crock pot (chicken on bottom, salsa on top, everything else in between) and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.  Pull chicken out before serving and shred with two forks.  Mix shredded chicken back in with everything else and keep warm until serving on tortillas with other taco fixin's.

ONE YEAR AGO:  Potato Leek Frittata
THREE YEARS AGO:  Kale and Egg on Toast

1 comment:

  1. Your food always looks sooo yummy!!! Mmmm I actually have been having a "craving" for tacos too!

    ReplyDelete