Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kale and Chickpeas with Cashew Cream

I'm obviously going nuts.  Ha ha, yeah in that way, but also in a good way, too.  What with the Almond Milk, Almond Dipping Sauce, and all the general nuts and seeds that play a big part in my daily diet, I get plenty of calcium, iron, protein, good fats, and fiber.


I never realized how versatile nuts are, until I started using them more often in cooking.  I'm still amazed by the fact you can milk an almond (anyone else thinking of Meet the Parents when Greg says "oh yeah, you can milk anything with a nipple"?).  I couldn't find any nipples on my almonds, but the milk sure is delicious.  (I'm SO sorry....I warned you I was going nuts).


Now I've discovered cream made from cashews.  And it's delicious.  Especially paired with some sauteed kale, red pepper, onion, and chickpeas.  I actually was trying to make a recipe that Cassandra sent me for kale with cashew butter but I was too lazy and cheap to go buy cashew butter so I improvised with some cashews from my freezer.  It was a cinch to make and it tasted great.


Kale and Chickpeas with Cashew Cream
Serves 4

1/2 onion, diced
1 bunch lacinato kale, ribs removed and chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 can chickpeas, drained
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 30 mins in boiling water
3/4 cup cool water
1 clove garlic, grated on the microplane
salt, pepper, grated nutmeg, and hot sauce to taste

In a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in olive oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes with salt and pepper until soft.  Add kale and chickpeas, nutmeg, and a splash of water or stock.  Cover and cook 4-5 more minutes over medium-low heat to wilt.

In a blender, mix soaked and drained cashews, water, and garlic together and blend until creamy.  Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and hot sauce and blend again.  Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.

Add cashew cream to wilted kale mixture and stir to combine and heat the cream.

Serve as is, or over cooked quinoa.

ONE YEAR AGO:  Green and Lean Smoothie
TWO YEARS AGO:  Oatmeal Pecan Pancakes
THREE YEARS AGO:  Salmon Cakes

1 comment: