Thursday, June 21, 2012

Herb Yogurt Salad Dressing

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go.  It's that wonderful time of year once again where I spend two blissful weeks on a pristine central Minnesota lake, surrounded by friends and family.  And this year during my sojourn north, I have the added two benefits of attending my fifteen year high school reunion (gulp!), and the wedding of a close family friend.  I am so stinkin' excited!  Oh yeah, and OLD.


Perhaps you would be filled with dread with the thought of attending a high school reunion, but not me.  I attended a teeny tiny school and graduated with 19 classmates.  Yes, it was small.  And yes, I loved it.  A good fraction of our class is fairly tight knit and although I keep in touch with them on a pretty regular basis, it's still great to gather for the sole purpose of catching up and remembering the good old days.


But before I sign off for a fortnight, I couldn't leave you without posting this delicious salad dressing recipe.  It's light and zippy and the perfect thing to top all the big salads you're making with all those farmer's market vegetables.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually starting to tire of my balsamic vinaigrette.  This is a great alternative salad dressing that delivers a big herbal bouquet of flavor.


I found that Herb Yogurt Salad Dressing pairs especially well with a BLT salad consisting of local mixed lettuce, local cherry tomatoes, avocado, toasted pine nuts, and Coconut Bacon.


Herb Yogurt Salad Dressing, adapted from Food on Paper
Serves 2

1/4 cup full fat plain yogurt (I used homemade)
1 Tbsp mayo
1 large bunch basil (about 15-20 leaves)
1 big handful flat leaf parsley
2 green onions (or any kind of onion or shallot)
2 garlic scapes (or 1 clove)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper
olive oil

Use a food processor (or sharp knife) to chop the herbs and mix with the yogurt and mayo and vinegar.  While whisking (or leaving food processor running), stream in olive oil until it creates a nice emulsion and dressing consistency (approx 1/4 cup or so).

ONE YEAR AGO:  Raspberry Vinegar
TWO YEARS AGO:  Asian Noodle Salad
THREE YEARS AGO:  Garlic Scape Pesto

1 comment: