Friday, July 15, 2011

Raspberry Vinegar

If the forecasters are right, there won't be a whole lot of cooked food coming out of my kitchen in the next week. With estimated heat indexes up to 110 degrees, I'll be living off cool foods like green and lean smoothies and gazpacho.


Oh yeah, and raspberries. Lots and lots of raspberries, which continue to ripen in my backyard each day at a rate that I can barely keep up with. I eat giant portions of them with yogurt every morning, and give them away to neighbors and co-workers, and I still have tubs of them in the fridge. I do plan on making another batch of freezer jam this year, which will use up a whole bunch. And I like freezing lots of these pretty red berries for enjoyment later in the year when a tiny package of them are $5 or more at the grocery store.


This raspberry vinegar is another great way to preserve that fresh summery tart berry flavor. Also, I know I've mentioned it before, but I love vinegar intensely. Seems a good pairing.


The recipe is idiot-proof. Except I'm kind of an idiot and went into a panic when I didn't have enough white wine vinegar so I substituted regular distilled white vinegar and sugar and thought I ruined the batch. I tasted it and nearly choked to death on the fumes. Not to worry, after a night in the fridge, this vinegar mellows but retains it's tartness and tastes exactly like a fresh sweet summer raspberry. And, it's stunningly, beautifully, shockingly bright fuchsia.


I loved this vinegar and wanted to drink it straight up, but settled for mixing it with some olive oil (1 part vinegar to 2 parts oil) and pouring it atop mixed greens with feta, toasted slivered almonds, and more raspberries. Stay cool out there Minneapolis.


Raspberry Vinegar, inspired by The Kitchn

Recipe Note: You should really just do 2 cups white wine vinegar with 1 cup mashed raspberries. It's easiest. But this is how I did it.

1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups regular distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (ruins the color a bit but I love the flavor with raspberries)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup mashed raspberries (or any other fruit of your choice)

Heat everything in a medium saucepan over medium heat on a stove and mash berries with a potato masher or back of a spoon. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain out seeds. Chill at least overnight before using.

ONE YEAR AGO: Asian Noodle Salad
TWO YEARS AGO: Carrot Salad

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to be living off bread, cheese, fruit, and veggies, myself! :)

    I hope I can muster up the courage to steam some beets tonight -- cold beets and goat cheese sounds pretty good today!

    I'd be happy to take some of those raspberries off your hands if needed!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody offered me any frickin' raspberries... -N

    ReplyDelete