Monday, July 11, 2011

Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad

Oh to be a Minnesotan in the summer is a wonderful thing! I love almost everything about summer in MN: the sun, the heat, wearing sundresses and flip flops, flowers, weekend art fairs and festivals, the LAKES (!), eating al fresco, walking and biking, fresh fruits and vegetables, and I could go on and on. The two things I could do without are mosquitoes and cutting the grass.

If I sound happy, it's because I am. I have just returned from the most blissful 2 weeks at a lake cabin in central Minnesota. I realize the rare privilege it is to be able to do this every year with my family. And believe me, I make the most of it and do not take one second for granted.


Before I left, I had a couple of dear friends over for a goodbye dinner. I made a zucchini carpaccio (beautiful but kind of bland), barbecue shrimp over quinoa (okay but slightly overcooked), herbed goat cheese with crostini (always a hit), and greek yogurt lemon mousse (I love this stuff).


But, the undisputed star of the night was this grilled corn and tomato salad. It was so good and simple, I made it again at the lake to more positive reviews. The sweetness of the corn with the tartness of the lime juice is such a great flavor combination. Leftovers are killer on a taco salad or burrito, as an homage to Chipotle's corn salsa.


Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad
Serves 6 as a side dish

5 ears sweet corn, shucked
1/2 red onion, sliced into thick rounds
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
4 Tbsp butter, preferably room temperature
juice of 1 lime
1 big handful chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

In one bowl, add your tomatoes, butter, lime juice, and cilantro.

Heat your outdoor gas or charcoal grill, indoor grill pan, or broiler. Brush or spray corn and onion slices with oil and grill until charred all over. Carefully cut the kernels from the cobs and chop the onion. Add hot kernels and onion to tomato/butter mixture (this will melt your butter if you didn't soften it first).

Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

ONE YEAR AGO: Grilled Pizza - I made this again at the lake this year and it was even better! I found a ridiculously simple no-rise pizza dough recipe, making a double batch and substituting 1/3 wheat flour, 2/3 AP and I froze the doughs. They were delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment