Saturday, July 4, 2009

Quinoa Salad with Tahini dressing

Happy Fourth of July! Here is some red, white, and blue food for you to enjoy (my backyard raspberries are finally ripe!). PS - homemade yogurt and homemade larabars are much easier and tastier on the 2nd try!



And happy anniversary to Green and Lean 09! I've been bloggin' about food for six months now! Wow, that has gone so fast. When I started this little site for myself, I didn't think I'd be able to come up with enough different things to make that would fill one month worth of blog postings. But I still enjoy hunting for new recipes to try and I've gathered a bunch of readers so I'm inspired to keep going for another few months at least! Thanks for following my real food journey with me.

So, one of the ingredients I've been dying to try is quinoa. I've heard it's a superfood and is easy to make and delicious. And they even had the inca red variety at my little local grocery store. I bought the box a few days ago with the plans of testing something soon. Then I decided to have a little dinner party and one of my guests can't eat wheat gluten so the thought of a quinoa side dish made perfect sense! I used this recipe exactly and it was quite tasty!

To go with this fiber and protein filled side dish, I just made some simply grilled halibut on a bed of balsamic onions and kale. The photo is terrible because I took it outside at 10:00 pm! But I wanted to share the meal because it was enjoyable with several bottles (4? 5? who knows) of wine.



PS - for an appetizer, I used my garlic scape pesto mixed with some lemon juice and goat cheese as a spread and it was fantastic!

PPS - for dessert I got to try halva, which was a greek mixture of sesame seeds and honey that I thought tasted like the inside of a Butterfinger candy bar. Paired with some sweet berries, it was amazing. Good way to get a candy fix using real food if I ever need one.


No comments:

Post a Comment