Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Crazy Collard Wrap

I absolutely love wraps, it's one of my favorite lunchtime meals. Either American style with guts such as grilled chicken, tuna salad, or scrambled eggs - or Mexican style with beans and salsa. Wraps are just more fun than sandwiches and they taste better (to me). Problem is, if I keep flour tortillas in the house, I would eat all of them in about 2 days. Not lean. So I haven't had a really good wrap in awhile and I haven't missed them until yesterday.

By the way - best wrap I've ever had? At the Ridgedale Macy's lunch counter, no lie. It had cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella chunks, pine nuts, romaine lettuce, and a basil vinaigrette. Sounds plain but it was fantastic.

Back to yesterday and the start of a major craving. My friend Ang brought me a gorgeous bouquet of greens from her garden. We whipped up a kale frittata (from the bouquet) for dinner and as we were enjoying it, I asked her how she uses her collard greens. Since she can't have wheat, she said she uses her collards as a wrap. Fricking genius!!!!

This one is gonna knock your socks off. It looks like something you'd get at some kooky California health nut restaurant, but it was whipped up in my kitchen in about 5 minutes.

First I dipped the collard in a pan of boiling water for about 15 seconds to soften it. Then I ran it under cold water so it wouldn't wilt too much. Then I layered in leftover quinoa salad (with extra beans added) and carrot salad, topped with a bit of crumbled feta cheese and wrapped it up.

Here is what it looked like pre-wrapping:


And pre-eating:



The collard was not quite as sturdy as a tortilla but it certainly did the trick with the help of a fork. I love this idea! Can't wait to cook up some more quinoa and spice it up with taco seasoning and tomatoes and avocado and make this again Mexi-style.

This is definitely both green (literally!) and lean! One of the cutest suppers I've had in a long time - thanks Ang!!!! This is the kind of discovery that keeps me motivated to keep blogging and recording my favorite meals so that I can make them again someday.

1 comment:

  1. Very creative and pretty too - can you do buffalo chicken in it :)

    ReplyDelete