Sunday, July 19, 2009

Arugula, Feta, and Watermelon Salad

I lied.
I need to do one last, quick post before I spend two weeks floating in Lake Lida.

It appears that people giving me free, fresh food is becoming a trend. I like it. This week at work, I went to a picnic lunch for the city's public service workers. They had the sweetest, yummiest watermelon there and when I raved about it, the Park Superintendent insisted I take home an uneaten half. Then, Marney and Colin gifted their weekly CSA box to me, full of fabulous veggies like beets, chard, arugula, fennel, and herbs.

Tonight I combined these lovely food gifts into a fabulous and pretty salad. It's the kind of fancy supper I would expect to be served at a hoity-toity spa resort or something. There are so many textures and flavors going on that it's an adventure to eat - sweet melon, salty feta, licorice-y fennel, and spicy arugula. It works very well together!


Arugula, Feta, and Watermelon Salad
Arugula
Watermelon
French Feta, crumbled
Fennel, shaved
Slivered almonds, toasted (would be better with sunflower seeds but I was out)
Salt and pepper
Red wine vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Assemble first 5 ingredients on a plate. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle a little red wine vinegar and olive oil on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment