Sunday, May 31, 2009

Homemade Larabars

Have you tried a Larabar yet? They're supposedly all the rage with health nuts on the east coast. Larabars have about three to six ingredients (and you can pronounce all of them) depending on the flavor, and are all natural, raw, unprocessed, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, vegan, and kosher.

There are lots of websites out there that have homemade Larabar recipes so I decided to try my own - almond coconut flavor. Very delicious and it took me less than 10 minutes to make the batch. Will definitely be doing this again!

Homemade Almond Coconut Larabars
12 oz container of pitted organic Medjool dates (about 12-15 dates)
1 cup chopped raw almonds (approx - see note below)
1 cup unsweetened coconut (approx - see note below)

Chop the almonds in a food processor and put in bowl with coconut. Pulse dates in food processor until totally chopped. Wet hands and add dates to almonds and coconut until well-mixed. Line loaf pan with saran wrap and spray lightly with oil. Again, with wet hands to avoid sticking, press mixture into pan and refridgerate to set. Cut into desired size pieces.

I have found that I can make this into 12 small square bars and it's filling enough for breakfast with coffee (that's half of the bar in the picture above).
Note: I don't measure very often so I hope all 3 or 4 of my readers aren't trying to follow these recipes exactly. I think it was about a cup of each but it could be a bit less of each. If you're going to try this at home, start with less and add more until you get the desired consistency.

2 comments:

  1. OK luv? Are you for real! because you amaze me every single night I enter this blog! bisous y bisous!!!

    XO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your comments! XOXO back at'cha!!

    ReplyDelete