Sunday, July 11, 2010

Grilled Pizza

Oh heeeeyyyyy food blog readers! I didn't forget about you beautiful people! OK, maybe I did forget about you a little bit but only because I was soaking up sunshine for 2 weeks up north at the lake. I'm sure you understand? Minnesota summers are so glorious when the weather cooperates!!!

I had AMAZING food on vacation. I cooked up this Trader Joe's brown rice medley and made a greek salad with half of it (cucumbers, artichokes, garbanzo beans, feta, red wine vinaigrette) and a mexi salad with the other half (corn, black beans, edamame, lime/chili oil vinaigrette). It was a great way to get my whole grains and veggies even while surrounded by burgers and bratwursts.


But my proudest achievement was grilling pizza. I dug 2 whole wheat pizza doughs from my freezer and brought them to the lake on a whim. I've always wanted to grill pizza but didn't have the nerve. I thought with moral support from my mom and wine, we'd be able to figure it out!

There was no rolling pin at the cabin but fortunately I had dozens of bottles of wine. I rolled the crust out thin with a wine bottle and threw it on the hot grates of the grill. After about 1 minute the bottom was charred so we flipped the crust over and quickly threw on fresh tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms and onions, olives, and mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Then I just closed the grill cover to finish cooking the crust and melt the cheese. In all, the pizza was on the grill for only about 5 minutes.


The crust turned out perfectly crispy and the toppings were so fresh and delicious! I totally impressed the parents with this dinner! With a big green salad and red wine....wow.


My dad was right when he said (over and over and over again during the last 2 weeks) "It just doesn't get much better than this!" A truly Minnesotan sentiment, but spot on nonetheless!


1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! I had to laugh at the "no rolling pin" thing because I've totally used wine bottles (or beer bottles) when vacationing too!

    ReplyDelete