Wednesday, July 14, 2010

White Gazpacho

Sometimes I find it hard to entertain at my house in the summer because I don't want to turn on the oven or stove and add all that unnecessary heat into my un-air conditioned house.

That's why no-cook meals like gazpacho are genius. Cassandra inspired me with a text photo of what she called "CSA Green Gazpacho" last weekend. It sounded so refreshing I knew I wanted to make my own cold soups ASAP! [NOTE TO CASS: If you have a few minutes, I'd love it if you'd post in the comments what all went into your green version!]


For my summer deck dinner party last night, I made two kinds of gazpacho. One was the same kind I have made for years, and the other was a White Gazpacho, that actually turned out light green because I didn't peel my cucumbers. I liked both of them, Alicia preferred the traditional, and Terrin liked the white one. So, I am going to consider both recipes successful.


To go with our gazpacho, I had an assortment of hard and soft cheeses, bread, crackers, and olives. It was quite Mediterranean! And while there isn't any meat in this meal, it was substantial enough that we were all so full we turned down dessert (yes, really!).


The White Gazpacho is oddly sweet, but acidic from the vinegar. It's got the great cucumbery flavor that's grounded by the earthy almonds. I don't think I would enjoy a huge bowl of it as a main course, but it's perfect as tapas or a first course. And of course, since it's chilled it will cool you down and completely refresh you!


White Gazpacho, adapted from Ellie Krieger
3 thick slices day old crusty bread, cubed
1/2 cup warm water
1 large clove garlic, grated on microplane
1 large seedless cucumber, chopped
1 cup green seedless grapes, halved
3/4 cup Marcona almonds
3 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
juice of 1/2 small lemon
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Pour water over bread cubes and let sit a few minutes to soak. Then blend the soaked bread and the rest of the ingredients together in a food processor or blender. Best if chilled at least an hour before serving. Garnish with more Marcona almonds or some toasted slivered almonds and halved green grapes.


3 comments:

  1. Hello Hello! I am posting this in MPLS b/c it is simply the only time I have had a moment's reprieve to contemplate blogs.... beautiful people and great food. Of course this has not been aided in NYC only b/c of the new job.. the heat is REPRESSIVE and time warner is EXHAUSTING as my internet has decided to disconnect itself from life the better part of the month - perhaps it is a sign....oh i digress like usual... the GAZPACHO!!! Ben and I are deeply committed to NOT EATING OUT IN NYC this summer and have joined a CSA - well this has provided a plethora of veggies that have been fabulous but also at almost 14 LBS a week difficult to sometimes deal with...but alas a minnesotan at heart I usually previal ;)! thus I had a bounty crop of Cucumbers, Garlic Scapes, green onions, and basil on hand...I threw them in my blender w/ a bit of veggie broth, water, and sherry vinergar and a bit of salt...then added some self dried bread that was waiting to become croutons and WHOLA!!!! a FABULOUS green gazpacho that we enjoyed on a 90 degree sunday day w/ local herbed goat cheeze that I swear tasted like honey, grilled local artisan onion bread and of course a very not local but oh so fabulous crisp bottle of french white wine.... the perfect makings for a sunday afternoon dinner... what she didn't mention was the apricot and plum vanilla scented compote we had for dessert atop vanilla stoney field farm frozen yogurt. perfect lunch. perfect. SO GLAD UR BACK MISS ALI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. did Terrin take the above photos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the 3rd person to comment to me that these photos are better than usual :) I took them! ME, ME, ME!!!!

    XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete