Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Simple Winter Tomato Sauce

Luck did not be a lady in Vegas last weekend. Luck be a greedy bitch, actually! Now I must challenge myself to make some budget friendly meals but they must be healthier and more delicious than Ramen noodles and Kraft mac 'n cheese.


When I think of budget food, I think of pasta first. But I like to make my own pasta sauce and fresh tomatoes are a million years away from being in season (ok, not really that long - but it feels like it). Can you make good tomato sauce without good fresh tomatoes? Yes, you can!


This is a great winter tomato sauce that contains only three (3!!!) ingredients, takes only 45 (mostly unsupervised) minutes of your precious time, and requires no (zero!) chopping or prepping. Really! Seriously! No lie!


The recipe is legendary, and has been blogged about all over the internet a thousand times. My favorite bloggers (here, here, and here) have all tried it. Now, it's my turn. Originally, a recipe from Italian cookbook author Marcella Hazan, the recipe is foolproof. I thought it tasted delicious, and I'm pretty sure it's one of those things that gets better the longer it sits. Alicia said it tasted like Ragu, which I am going to consider a compliment, considering it contains NONE of the sodium, artificial chemicals, or preservatives that are in store bought sauce.


Simple Winter Tomato Sauce, from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
1 can (28 oz) San Marzano style whole peeled Italian plum tomatoes
5 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced in half

In a large pot, add tomatoes with liquid, butter, and onion (cut side down). Simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes, occasionally stirring and crushing tomatoes. Discard onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over pasta, gnocchi, bread, or vegetables with or without parmesan cheese.

ONE YEAR AGO: Guinness Cake

1 comment: