Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pesto Potato Salmon Salad

I was forced into buying 2 bags of teeny tiny "honey gold" potatoes. Well, OK, not really forced because I tried to buy just one bag and the cashier told me they were "buy one, get one free" and she ran off to get me another one.

I'm glad she did, these potatoes are extra delicious and they cook up in no time. So what does one cook when one has oodles of potatoes? My favorite salad ever, of course - the Nicoise Salad!


Except that - other than the spuds and a hard boiled egg - I didn't have any of the traditional ingredients on hand. I can't go grocery shopping because I'm heading out to Vegas for a little weekend getaway so I had to do some crafty substitutions using stuff I already had in the house.


  • Instead of tuna, I used leftover flaked salmon cakes.
  • Instead of green beans, I used boiled kale.
  • Instead of fresh tomatoes, I used sundried tomatoes.
  • Instead of Nicoise olives, I used kalamata olives.
  • Instead of tarragon vinaigrette, I used some frozen basil pesto thinned out with a little white wine vinegar.

Even with all the crazy substitutions, it tasted very similar to a Nicoise Salad, just maybe more of a winterized version. It was awesome.


Pesto Potato Salmon Salad
1 handful baby potatoes, quartered
1/2 bunch tuscan kale, stems removed and chopped
1 egg, hard boiled
canned or cooked salmon, flaked
2 Tbsp pitted kalamata olives, chopped
2 Tbsp sundried tomatoes in oil, chopped
2 Tbsp prepared basil pesto
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar

Start with 3 cups cold water in a medium saucepan. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Boil about 7 minutes or until fork inserted comes out easily. Add kale to the same pot, cover and boil for another minute or two until wilted.

Drain potatoes and kale and mix when hot with pesto and vinegar. Add olives, sundried tomatoes, flaked salmon, and peeled and sliced egg. Enjoy warm with red wine.

TWO YEARS AGO: Salmon Cakes

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooohhh! I forgot about salad Nicoise. (I make mine with tempeh instead of fish.) I have been making lots of big salads lately, and it's good to have variety! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete