Sunday, February 15, 2009

Broccoli Soup and Tuna/White Bean Salad

I've been keeping a food journal for several months. I record everything that I can remember eating. So now when I look back at the log over the past 2 weeks, I know why I haven't blogged at all. It's not that I've been eating bad foods (even though I have), it's because I've been very boring in my meal choices.

Lunch has been soups and salads as usual. Been eating the beet and goat cheese and walnut salad a lot. And I have made 2 soups - one that I can recommend, and one that I can't.

The soup I enjoyed was a broccoli and potato soup that I found on the NY Times dining page. I had leftover broccoli and cauliflower from a superbowl appetizer. Plus, I only had a few potatoes so I bulked up the soup with a package of crimini mushrooms. It was pretty good.



The other soup I made SOUNDED promising but I thought it was bland and tasteless. I still have a jar of it in the fridge because I can't bear to throw anything away but I also can't stand to eat it either. It was a lentil, tomato, kale soup I found here: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/lively-up-yourself-lentil-soup-recipe.html

Where I have been really horrible is in my weeknight dinner choices. Apparently, I'm not snacking enough in the afternoon because I'm starving at 5pm when I get home. I've been eating the Whole Foods brand of Triscuits, with cheddar cheese and salsa for too many weeknight dinners. Tasty? Sure. Healthy? Not really. This is why I can't keep crackers, chips, or cheese in the house! It's too convenient to come home and start snacking and then I have to count that as my dinner because it fills me up - but doesn't pack much nutrition.

Finally, I forgot to take a picture but I did make a batch of tuna/white bean salad last week. This recipe is from my Nigella Express cookbook. It's good on field greens for a salad, in a wheat tortilla for a wrap, or with triscuits as a snack.


Tuna and White Bean Salad
1 can tuna, drained
1 can cannelini beans, drained
red onion, diced finely
chopped flat leaf parsley
salt and pepper
red wine vinegar
olive oil

No comments:

Post a Comment