Monday, August 6, 2012

Colin's Garlic Citrus Shrimp

So I know this guy.  He's one of those guys who is interesting and knows stuff.  Stuff other people have to look up or make up.  He knows it.  I know he's not bullshitting either, because I'm the snot who keeps asking questions to see if he really knows what he's talking about.  He does.  The most interesting man in the world from those Dos Equis commercials has nothing on this guy.


This guy has an absolutely ridiculous variety of different interests and talents.  He knows graphic design and has created websites.  He edits and creates awesome videos.  He is an entertaining and witty writer.  He loves athletics, became an avid cyclist, and competed in marathons and Ironman triathlons.  He is a musical dictionary and introduced me to the Jayhawks and an awesome Ben Folds cover of a rap song (although he has questionable taste in hard core death metal junk, too).  He is an accomplished craft beer connoisseur.  He knows the meanings of every dirty word and will explain them to you upon request.  He loves four-letter words and has a mastery of profanity few could ever hope to achieve.


For awhile, there was one certain four-letter word I was convinced was his favorite.  E-P-I-C.  It's not a curse word, but it does have four letters.  He has described so many things with this adjective:  epic tv shows, epic movies, epic songs, epic songwriters, epic beers, epic food, epic parties, certain epic parts of certain epic people's anatomy...  I never see or hear the word EPIC without thinking about this guy.


Where I am most jealous of this guy's brilliance is in the kitchen and at the grill.  I've been the fortunate recipient of countless meals from his kitchen and back yard.  He has taught me how to use my old Weber (the one I use now actually used to belong to him and his wife, they gifted it to me when they upgraded) with confidence.  He has instilled within me the belief that Coastal Seafoods is the only place to get fish in Minneapolis, and like a true culinary disciple I go nowhere else.


This guy invented the recipe for and taught me how to make this awesome garlic citrus shrimp, which I've always called Colin's Shrimp.  It's the most delicious thing anyone has ever cooked for me and I begged for the recipe years ago.  Although Colin doesn't follow recipes, he explained how he made it and I've tried to recreate it.  Of course my version never tastes as good as his, but this is a close approximation.


I make Colin's Shrimp for my family every year up at the lake and they LOVE it.  I've made it for many other friends and dining companions and it's always a hit.  After heating the grill, it takes a mere 15 minutes to make from start to finish and all you really need to make it a complete meal is a nice loaf of crusty baguette to soak up the garlicky/winey/citrus juice (although adding a salad is always a good idea).


For all of the above reasons and a million more, I am enraged that Colin is forced to endure ALS.  It's a disease I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.  It hasn't stopped Colin from knowing stuff and being pretty much my most interesting man in the world.  Merriam-Webster dictionary describes epic thusly:  "extending beyond the usual or ordinary."  Well, that pretty much describes Colin in a nutshell.  You, sir, are truly epic.


Colin's Garlic Citrus Shrimp
Serves 3-4 people

1.5 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 cup white wine
salt and pepper to taste
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1 lime, cut into wedges

Heat your outdoor grill or large skillet to medium.  If cooking on a grill, put butter, oil, and garlic in a disposable pan (or make a tray out of tinfoil) over the grates.  Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute to melt butter and start to cook garlic gently.  Do not burn garlic.

Add wine (careful with alcohol around an open flame) and cook for a couple minutes to reduce and cook off the alcohol taste.

Add shrimp and a hefty pinch of salt and pepper.  Cook for about 5 minutes, or until shrimp loses its transparency and starts to curl up. Shrimp is done when all pink, but be careful to not overcook or it will be tough and rubbery.

Remove shrimp from heat and squeeze lemon and lime wedges over shrimp.  Serve immediately with fresh bread to soak up juice.

ONE YEAR AGO:  Zucchini Chevre Tartine
TWO YEARS AGO:  Veggie Hummus Wrap
THREE YEARS AGO:  Mustard Dill Fish

3 comments:

  1. Love it!! And I agree the meal was EPIC! Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this tonight with buttered, toasted Sourdough Bule, fresh cut tomatoes, and kale sauted with garlic and British bacon. It was delicious and fun to eat!! I've never met Colin, but it seems to me this world is lucky to have him! :)

    ReplyDelete